Friday, September 12, 2008

tone of voice

I have been really trying this year to remember to keep a calm and soothing voice when the student is in the acting out stage and is needing to be restrained or is in the Make It Right Room. I try to remember that they cannot process all of what I am saying during this time but they do process how I am talking.

I find it especially hard because I want to be firm and in control but I also need to understand that this is not the time to "reason" with the child. It is the time to get them calm so that a discussion can be had later.

1 comment:

JMAC said...

I feel the same way. I always keep calm but sometimes struggle with being firm because of my nature. I, however, do believe that you should be consistent with who you are and not try to be something you're not - when dealing with others.